Apr 24, 2014

Old Friends

I am one of the extremely lucky girls who has had the same three girl friends since junior high. Grade seven actually, so we're talking about 20 years. Two of the girls still live in the same city as I do, so we try to see each other once a month for dinner or at least coffee. The fourth member of our little posse moved away shortly after university.

Me & Lauren at her wedding.
(August 2008)
After graduating Lauren did a brief stint in Toronto, Ontario before heading to Calgary, Alberta (where she met her husband) and then from Calgary to St. John's, Newfoundland. Lauren has always been much braver than I am, so when an opportunity came up within her company to spend two years in South Korea she jumped at it.

I visited Lauren when she was in Calgary, and when she was in Newfoundland. Visiting Calgary was exciting, I loved seeing the mountains for the first time and I loved dragging Lauren to all the touristy attractions around Calgary. (The Calgary Zoo was a personal favourite.) A couple years ago my parents took a trip to Newfoundland and J and I decided to go with them. And of course we visited Lauren when we were there! We even spent a couple days at her house and were there to help celebrate her birthday. (And we all experienced a hurricane together.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure visiting South Korea is something I can make happen ($1800 for a round trip flight... yikes!) though it would be beyond amazing!

I was beyond surprised today at work when I picked up the phone and it was Lauren calling. It was so nice to hear her voice. I'm not really a phone person, and there's a crazy time difference between Halifax and South Korea so we don't get to talk very often. When we do though, it's like no time has passed since our last conversation. (It's pretty awesome actually.) Even though today's conversation was really brief, it still completely made my day.

Hope you had a great day as well!

xo,
Sara



2 comments:

  1. I love friends like that! So nice when it feels like everything is the same as it was the last time you talked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so awesome that you have friends like that! I love when I get a text or call from a long time friend and it's like no time has passed!

    ReplyDelete