Jan 8, 2015

Meal Planning Success

I'm feeling kind of proud of myself today. Last week I sat down and planned out all of our suppers for the week. Some new recipes and some old recipes but a real, home-cooked supper for every night. So now it's Thursday and I'm excited to announce that I've actually stuck to the plan! (And I know, so far that's only 4 out of 6 days but for me that's a record.)

On Sunday afternoon I made this Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Stew from the Scrumptious Pumpkin. We had it Monday for supper and then Tuesday and Wednesday for lunch. Usually I avoid slow cooker meals that have multiple steps (I like the ones where you chuck everything in and then forget about it) but I'm glad I tried this one out anyways. I also usually avoid anything with cooked celery (or leave it out) but I'm trying to eat more vegetables so I made it with the celery. It wasn't thick and creamy like you'd expect from something with "pot pie" in the title but it was still enjoyable. Next time I think I'd use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, but I definitely do plan on making it again.

Supper Tuesday and Wednesday night both came from Ali at Gimme Some Oven. I find her recipes are really easy to follow. I'm still very much a novice, but I'm trying to get more comfortable cooking. Tuesday night we had the 12-minute Chicken & Brocoli. Even though this was my second time making this dish it still took me longer than 12 minutes. Supper was still on the table in under 20 minutes though, so it was perfect for a Tuesday night since I don't get home from work until after 6:30. On Wednesday night I stepped out of my comfort zone (and dragged J out of his) by making Ginger Beef, Mushroom and Kale Stir-Fry. I am not a lover of mushrooms. At all. But this recipe called for shiitake mushrooms and baby portobello mushrooms. So I bought them. And used them. And ate them. And didn't hate them. And then there was the kale. I really feel like I should eat kale. So every so often I throw it in something, hoping it will grow on me. It still hasn't. (But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try this recipe.)

As I'm sitting here typing this tonight's supper is cooking away in the slow cooker. We're having Slow Cooker Cream Ranch Pork Chops & Potatoes from Six Sisters' Stuff. This is one of the few meals that I've made a number of times. It's one of those slow cooker recipes that I love, you throw everything in the slow cooker and in 4 hours (or 6 depending on what setting you're using) you have an amazing meal. J is very much a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy so this is something he really enjoys. I think it's tasty too, but my favourite part is definitely how easy it is.

Do you plan your meals in advance? What do you find helps you stick to the plan?


post signature




1 comment:

  1. Does it surprise you at all to hear that I use a spreadsheet for meal planning?

    ReplyDelete